Commercial function from PIB Threat Administration
Adrian Robinson, Managing Director, PIB Threat Administration
There have been greater than 7000 accidents and 33 deaths within the motorcar restore business over the previous 5 years*. Of those, 13 employees have been killed when work befell below a automobile that wasn’t correctly supported.
Moreover, since April 2022, HSE has reported one other 4 circumstances of employees being crushed to demise by an incorrectly supported automobile**.
Even the most straightforward management measures can stop lack of life and severe harm when working below autos.
By no means work beneath a automobile that’s solely supported on jacks:
- Use axle stands which are in good situation and inspected yearly.
- Use stands on agency, degree floor and securely situated below a robust level on the automobile.
- Securely chock wheels remaining on the bottom.
- Don’t exceed the rated capability of the stand.
By no means work beneath a cab or tipping trailer until it’s propped:
- At all times prop cabs, trailers and many others. that might drop below their very own weight.
- The prop needs to be locked in place earlier than gaining entry.
- If there is no such thing as a prop fitted, or if one is fitted, however you might be uncertain it will likely be efficient, present your individual.
By no means crawl beneath a automobile fitted with air suspension until it’s correctly supported:
- Stop motion of air suspension, both through the use of suitably rated props or stands to forestall the chassis reducing or by deflating the system.
- Do not tamper with the journey top for the aim of restoration or restore.
You possibly can focus on your threat administration issues by contacting me.
t: 07753 984433